Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Too...many...ellipsis

So hey. It's that one girl. Who apparently doesn't blog much. Because she runs around like a chicken with her head cut off.


It's hard to type without a head.


The first three weeks of school went something like this:
wakkkkeuuu...noeating...classclass...newspaper...class...workalittle...newspaper...class...noeating...study...eatacracker...sleepforaminutes....wakkkkeeuuu....


Observe carefully and you'll notice I never quite woke up in the first month of school. I usually just took naps from 2-7 am.


But alas, my life has calmed to the point that I can breath and write, pretty much the only two things needed for my survival. I say pretty much because eating and hugs are nice on occasion. No worries mom. I'm now sleeping 7 hours a night, eating too many chicken salad sandwiches and trying to make time for a run (keyword: trying).


I could ramble on and on about love and newspapers (if you're ever stuck in an airport for a 6 hour layover and you say to yourself , "I'd really like to hear about newspapers, and also about falling in love" than give me a call. I'm your woman), but really I just want to say three things I've learned this month:


1. Inspiration comes in jolts. Catch it while you have it. Catch it and WRITE it down, I should say.


Soooo... I'm in a social media class. (DISCLAIMER: For anybody who has been on my Facebook page and followed the links to my professional blog, I'm sorry. It's professionally boring. We have to post those links to get a grade. I mean...you can read about traditional views if you want, but I wouldn't want to. I promise, I'm not spamming your FB wall like Alan Ralsky for nothing). 


Jo Packham and Loralee Choate came to our class the other day as guest speakers. Jo is the editor of Where Woman Create AND Where Woman Cook and Loralee is more-or-less her social media person. 


While all of the boys in the class were on their Macbooks tweeting about how they'd rather be snowboarding, I was seriously captured. They sell magazines for $16! Each! I got the best business lesson of my life. EVERYTHING is sellable if you know your market. These woman are genius. And entertaining. Also, fashionable. I'm a little jealous. 


100% of the world has inspiring thoughts, but only 1% develop those thoughts. 


2. You know how I thought I could cook? I can't. 


Ok, ok. So I didn't cook all summer because I pretty much mooched off of apartment #2. After starting school I was like, "Ya! I'm going to cook food that does not taste like a moldy tennis shoe!". 


Seven attempts later, my boyfriend and/or roommates have cordially uninvited me to ever cook food for them again (Yeah...not really, but I'm sure the invite is in the mail). I ruined PASTA for goodness sake. 


3. I need to learn to small talk


If you've ever sat at a table with me and I'm staring intently at a fleck of dust in the air, I really do want to say something to you. Chances are I tried to think of something smart to say, but in the process realized I wasn't saying anything and then I forgot my name. By the time I remembered it, dinner was over and I realized you may have thought I was a mute. Or a dust scientist. 


Maybe everybody else in the world knows how to make conversation but me. I may be bound to awkwardness for all of my days. 


Or maybe I'm just Allee...


Or maybe it's the same thing...


Maybe I should be ok with me...


Totally random way to end a post: I miss this girl. A lot. And yes. That's Bear Lake at midnight. 

1 comment:

  1. Heh! Thanks for the shout out and glad you enjoyed the lecture! Thanks for your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete

For my entertainment...